Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Disparity of Clean

Let me start out by saying, I love my husband. To bits and pieces.

He actually cleans his own bathroom every week (or other week). I usually take care of the rest of the house, but he cleans his own bathroom. I hate his bathroom. He keeps saying he's going to redo it, but my hopes that that will ever happen shrink daily. Despite the fact we have all the materials and someone to lay the tile. Nevermind. I'll stop dwelling on that and get back to the issue. Cleaning.

Anyway, I made Phil leave the house today so that I could give the house a good cleaning. We have guests coming this week and I wanted to make sure the house was good and clean. I do have two cats and a dog - hair can become quite a problem. Even though I used the "Shred-Ender" on them last weekend, there is still quite a mess of hair. Everywhere.

When I got into law school, I told Hubs we needed to get a cleaning lady and he scoffed, telling me he could handle it. I plumb won't have time to work 40 hours a week, go to school 20 hours a week, and clean the house, do the laundry, etc. I just can't. It's not physically possible. I asked him if he knew what cleaning baseboards meant. He did not and accused me of not cleaning them. I asked him when was the last time he cleaned his bathroom walls. He never has. The questions like this went on.

I'm not, in any means of the word, a clean freak. I do like a nice clean house, especially when we have guests coming over.

So today, I started with his bathroom. I spent almost an hour in there alone. Despite his "weekly" cleans there was about nine inches of soap scum on the tub. When I inquired about this, he assured me he'd just throw out the tub and get a new one. WHAT?? I cleaned his walls, his baseboards, his medicine cabinet, etc. In short, his bathroom is now spic and span. I do need to go back and attack the soap scum with steel wool, but my fingers were cramping and I couldn't deal with it anymore.

He arrived home shortly after I finished his bathroom and asked what he could do. I told him I'd appreciate his dusting the bedroom. He did. Sort of. After he was done, I went back in and finished. He asked why we needed to clean the picture frame because, "I thought the Pope would ban the dust." Hubs was speaking of our Papal Wedding Blessing which was dusty. I then cleaned the window sills and he scoffed and said, "Those don't get cleaned." I also wiped the headboard down, since there were cat prints on it.

I then reiterated, "We are so getting a cleaning lady when I start school."

He reiterated, "We are not."

He'll see. Oh, he'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment